Intentions and wishes
Discuss the following questions with other students.
• Are you usually free at the weekend or do you have a
lot of work/study?
• How many weeks' holiday from work or school do
you have every year? Is it enough?
• Do you think people in your country have enough
free time, generally? (Think about people in different
types of job.)
Are you a live wireor a couch potato?
1 I’m going to walk for more than half an hour today.
2 I’d like to spend my next holiday lying on a beach doing nothing.
3 I’d rather play sport than watch TV
4 I’m not planning Language focus 1. Intentions and wishes to get up before ten tomorrow
5 I’m going to play an outdoor sport (e.g. tennis, soccer) this weekend.
6. I’d like to spend more time in bed than I usually do.
7. In a strange city I’d rather go sightseeing than stay in my hotel room.
8. I’d rather take the lift than walk up a flight of stairs.
9. I’m planning to go skiing and/or surfing sometime this year.
10. I’m going to spend most of this evening in front of a TV/computer screen.
11. I’d like to go on a cycling holiday Language focus 1. Intentions and wishes or climb a mountain one day,
12. I’m planning to buy a more comfortable sofa when I have enough money.
Work with a partner and tick the sentences that are true for you.
A Count how many blue sentences you ticked, and how many red ones.
Blue = couch potato. Red = live wire.
B Compare your answers with the rest of the class.
|Grammar 1 Choose the alternative which has the closest meaning to the sentence, a I'm going tobuy a new computer. • I hope I can buy a new computer. • I intend to buy a new computer. • I want Language focus 1. Intentions and wishes to buy a new computer. b I'm planning tobuy a new computer. • I have thought carefully about buying a new computer. • I'd like to buy a new computer. с I'd like tobuy a new computer. • I enjoy buying computers. • I want to buy a new computer. d I'd ratherbuy a new computer than a second-hand one. • I like new computers more than second-hand ones. • I want to buy a second-hand computer. • I intend to buy a new computer. 2 What form of the verb do we use after I'm going, I Language focus 1. Intentions and wishes'm planning and I'd like? What form do we use after I'd rather? 3 What does I'd mean in I'd like and I'd rather: I had or I would? 4 Make these sentences into questions, a You're going to see it. b You're planning to do it. с You'd like to see it. d You'd rather go home.|
Use the phrases below to make six good resolutions for the future with going to.
I'm not going to argue with my sister any more.
I'm going to spend less money on clothes Language focus 1. Intentions and wishes.
spend (more/less) time ....-ing
save up money to buy ...
spend more/less money on ...
eat more/less ...
study ... at the weekend
keep in touch with my ...
do more ...
buy a new ...
2 When you have some free time, do you go away for the day/weekend? Use the prompts below to make questions with planning to, would like or would rather, then ask two other people.
a (plan/have) any days or weekends away in the near future. Who (plan/go) with?
b Which places near your home (like/visit) for the day?
c Which other parts Language focus 1. Intentions and wishes of your country (like/visit) for a few days?
d For a weekend away, (rather/visit) the mountains, the seaside or a city?
e Which of these cities (rather/visit) for a long weekend: New York, Paris or London?
f Which other cities (would/like) visit one day?
Vocabulary and speaking
1 a Which of these are most important to you on holiday? Discuss these things in groups.
• the weather • the nightlife
• sightseeing/culture • shops
• the food • who you go with
• the accommodation • other
• the scenery